Welcome to Maris Around the World!
I am currently living and studying abroad in Fukuoka, Japan! As a big foodie and photography lover I’m excited to share my favorite food spots, travel tips, and stories about living abroad.
I hope you enjoy reading!
- Stunning Scenery at Shirogane Blue Pond and Shirahige WaterfallIf you search for “Japan’s Best Hidden Nature Spots”, some of the first images that pop up are of an… Continue Reading →
- Tomita Melon House – So Good Even Non-Melon Lovers Will EnjoyVisitors flock to Furano in Hokkaido during the summer months to catch a glimpse of the expansive lavender fields. What’s… Continue Reading →
- Furano Cheese Factory in Hokkaido – Make Your Own Mascarpone Cheese!Hokkaido and Furano in the Summer Many people know that Hokkaido in Northern Japan boasts some of the best winter… Continue Reading →
- Kobe Beef Lunch Course in Kobe, JapanAs you may have been able to tell, I am quite excited to be in Japan because of all the… Continue Reading →
- Mizutaki- Japanese Chicken Hot Pot (水炊き)Welcome to winter in Fukuoka! We have had snow the past two days (at an unprecedented amount), and the air… Continue Reading →
- Ochazuke (お茶漬け) at Kappō Yoshida in Fukuoka, JapanThis post is all about ochazuke! Do you know what that is? I recently went to Kappō Yoshida, a Fukuoka restaurant known for their special sea bream (tai) ochazuke.
- Day Trip to Dazaifu Tenmangu Shrine from Central FukuokaThis weekend I embarked on a small day trip to one of Fukuoka’s most famous shrines: Dazaifu Tenmangu. I chose… Continue Reading →
- Karato Seafood Market & Fugu: the Deadly DelicacyKarato Market is a seafood hub in Yamaguchi Prefecture that is well known for its assorted pufferfish (fugu) offerings and other rare ocean delicacies.
- Biking Around Sakurajima: A Complete GuideSakurajima is the iconic symbol of Kagoshima and is a great place to visit as it is just a short ferry ride away. When I visited, I rented a bike and explored the 36km (22m) perimeter of the island in a challenging yet fulfilling adventure.
Hi, I’m Marisa! Previously a kid’s toy designer, I decided to pick up and move to Japan for a new life challenge and to embrace starting roots abroad. When I’m not gobbling down new foods, catch me doing yoga, practicing photography, or studying 日本語 (Japanese). I enjoy writing about travel, food, and the adventures I have, so please enjoy! Read more